Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), also known as Doctors Without Borders has condemned the murder of two of its employees in the Boucle du Mouhoun region, in northwestern Burkina Faso, calling off its medical activities in the region.
A statement on Thursday read that: “On the morning of Wednesday, February 8, an MSF vehicle, clearly identified as such, carrying a medical team of four on the road between Dédougou and Tougan was targeted by armed men who shot at the passengers.
“Two employees were killed, while two others managed to escape.”
The statement revealed that: “The two victims, both from Burkina Faso, had been employed by MSF as a driver, since July 2021, and a logistics supervisor, since June 2020. They were 39 and 34 years old, respectively.”
“We are shocked and outraged by this killing. This is a deliberate and intentional attack on a clearly identified humanitarian team, during its medical work,” explained the president of MSF, Dr. Isabelle Defourny.
He said: “Our priority is to support the two colleagues who survived the attack, as well as the families and loved ones of our missing colleagues. We are also going to engage with all the parties to the conflict to understand what happened.”
The statement said MSF has suspended its activities in the Boucle du Mouhoun region until the organisation will have a better understanding of this tragic event.
Burkina Faso is facing an unprecedented political, security, and humanitarian crisis, resulting in the displacement of nearly two million people following violence and fighting between armed groups and government forces.
Between July and December 2022, MSF teams in Burkina Faso, working in four regions of the country, provided nearly 400,000 primary health consultations and assisted in the delivery of nearly 4,300 women, the statement said.